Charley

How to get Maine Coon to stop puking on carpet??

know he has wayyy too much fur, but for the life of him he will ONLY puke on my room's white carpet when I'm not home! I have puke marks from previous times he did it that won't come out with any stain remover I've tried. He could at LEAST do it on the tile where it's more easy to clean. He has medicine to reduce it, but he decides it's nice to go outta his way and move all the way to my room and puke on the white carpet! For the life of him, he doesn't stop being lazy and go to his litter box. I'm getting SO mad at him that starting today and tonight I'm gonna close my door and he's no longer allowed in my bedroom.

Don't tell me I'm being mean or whatever because he knows better.

How can I get him to stop puking on carpet??

Asked by Charley on Sep 30th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Ha! I hear you! I was having a Senior Moment when I picked out white carpeting for my dining room. Whenever any of my animals pees or upchucks in the house, guess where it is! If he is throwing up a LOT, you need to get him to the vets to find out if he has stomach issues. In the long run, this will be cheaper and easier than constant carpet cleaning. Closing the door is another option. He's not doing it to tick you off, believe me. Izzie (my MC mix) upchucks hairballs a lot, too. I got myself some cleaner called "Zyme Away" which you can get on the 'net. I spray this on the spot and let it set for 2 hours. Then I get my Little Green Machine or the big Hoover Steam Vac (yes, I have both. I NEED both with 4 animals) and scrub it out. It works wonders. Don't be angry with him. Like I said, he's not doing it to be bad. I've never known of a cat who will upchuck in his litter box, BTW. Izzie's favorite place is under the DR table so I have to crawl under there to clean...8o)

(My Angel) Colette

Mom knows it's frustrating, but she couldn't help but giggle when she read your question.

After 25 years of constant cat companionship she has never met cat that hasn't made a go of puking on the rug. I'm the one who comes the closest to remembering to walk over to the wood floors.

And even I forget. If Mom is around she usually gently tries to get me to walk over to the wood floor when she hears the gagging sounds begin. Or if I'm too far away from the floor she'll try to slide some paper toweling on top of what it looks like I'm going to hit.

Don't be angry with him. We're just sorry that you have a white rug. (We have heavily patterned, darker rugs for just that reason.) The enzyme stain and odor removers do a pretty good job of it. Mom also remembers using dish soap and a damp rag did a pretty good job lifting out one of our stains.

(My Angel) Colette answered on 1/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Tink the Cat

I had a MC too & he tended to really wolf down the food, so I gave him half as much, then the rest a half-hour later. Also had to groom him regularly. Couldn't skip!
Honestly, what I would do at his point would be to put down a brown fuzzy rug just inside the room, praise if he lands it there, for several weeks, then close the door & move the rug until it's onto the regular floor, continue to praise or treat the good behavior & eventually maybe you'll be tossing the rug outside the back door & he'll choose a spot just inside (be careful coming in!). It takes the usual,though, time-consistency-patience, but good luck to you!

Tink the Cat answered on 1/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My cat vomited her entire life until I started her on Iam's Digestive Care cat food. It has probiotics in it (as do some of their other flavors, I think) which are supposed to add more "good" bacteria to a cat's digestive tract. She stopped having issues after that, even after I eventually switched her to other Iam's flavors. She even stopped coughing up furballs. I never would've believed it.

Marshall

I have a Maine Coon too and he would vomit prolly 4-5 times a week. It was frustrating. Finally I changed his food from Purina One to Blue Buffalo and it completely stopped the problem. Sometimes he does it now when he eats the new kittens food but usually never. Try a food with more meat as the main ingredient and less grain and fillers/animal by product. This should help them digest a little more. It worked for him and hes much much happier!!

Marshall answered on 2/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer