Tinkerbell

How to get a dog and cat to like each other?

How do you get a Jack Russel dog to like a American short hair cat. Do you think they would ever get along. one is 3going on 4 and the cat is 5. Thank you Tinker Bell

Asked by Tinkerbell on May 26th 2010 in Socialization

Answers

Sadie/ In loving memory

they may learn to like each other, but it will take a while. Make sure your cat has some hiding places that she can get away from the dog. This is her safe place, all cats need that. Jack Russel's are very energetic dogs and this may scare her. Just give them time and lots of loving. There is a chance that they will get along.

Sadie/ In loving memory answered on 5/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hunter *Dreamboat #82*

My cat and dog love each other. To the point where the cat grooms the dog! It helps if you get them together when they are little. Although my dog Teaka was a year old, when I brought Hunter home. In my house I have a gate thats in the doorway of my room. If the dog gets too rough, the cat runs through the gate to get away from the dog. It works well for me. I guess my room is Hunters "sanctuary". They can get along. Try playing with them together. I know Teaka loves the cat fleece dancer that I use to play with Hunter. It tires them both out. Good Luck!

Hunter *Dreamboat #82* answered on 5/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have 3 cats and 2 dogs and for the most part, they all tolerate each other. My Maine Coon, a breed known for getting along with canines, absolutely LOVES my Springer Spaniel. Honestly, you can't force a cat and dog to be 'friends', just like you can't force people to like each other. As I'm sure you realize, a Parson Jack Russell is a very high energy dog. The people across the street have one and also a cat, and Andi never left the cat alone until the cat swiped her across the nose one day. Andi wears ME out! I can imagine how the cat felt about her. As the other poster wrote, make sure the cat has some high places to hide in. If she hides behind furniture, the PJR will try to dig her out, it's in their nature and breeding. But if she is able to get on top of a dresser or counter or something high, she'll feel safer since the dog can't follow. This will take time, so you must have patience. They'll work out a truce.