Wrigley

How to deter kitten from playing with poop and pee in the litter box?

My mommy is fostering a female kitten named Zoey =^-_-^=
She is about 6.5 weeks old and the other day I saw her pawing INTO her personal litter box. I thought "hmm maybe she dropped one of her toys in there." NO she was playing with a caked up piece of urine. Mom cleaned the box as fast as she could and went to work.
Now she's starting to notice little broken up pieces of litter-poo and pee around her box.

How can she get her to stop without scaring her away from the litter box? I want to nip this before she gets adopted lol

Asked by Wrigley on Aug 13th 2010 Tagged playinginlitterbox, litterbox, kitten, kittenplayingwithpoop, poop, pee in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

She's really young! Mamacats start litter training their babies at about 5 wks, so unless you know this baby's history, she may not have had that training. You can discourage this by using non-clumping litter (clay pellets). This will not stick to her (even kittens are fastidious).Make sure there's enough litter in the box to encourage sufficient "burying". Keep the box pristine. You can also put a mat outside the box for her to wipe her paws. Don't spray her near the box or yell at her there. You may turn her off of using the box. If you catch her, say "No-no!" and distract her with a toy. She's not doing it to be "bad", she just doesn't know any better, and she shouldn't be punished, just redirected.

Mr Buttons DBiT Help FIV Cats

Kitty should get over this in a week or two. Make sure she has a place that is her own like a nice little box with a towel in it or pet bed. My 5 fosters were all sleeping in the box until I got them a little soft house. They now, at 7 weeks, are just using the litter pan for its intended use. Now I understand why using a nice cage really helps with housebreaking.

Mr Buttons DBiT Help FIV Cats answered on 8/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer