Smokey

How old is an outdoor cat in human years?

I have an outdoor cat named Smokey she is 23 yrs old in cat years. How old would she be in human years for an outdoor ca

Asked by Smokey on Apr 28th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Well, we used to use a 7 cat years to one human year ratio, but I've learned that's outdated. The best I can figure, Smokey is probably about 110 in human years. That's old by ANYONE'S age chart. There are a lot of things that figure into a cat's true age. She must be very smart and very healthy with a good gene pool to have survived that long outdoors. If she's been spayed and vetted regularly, I'm sure that helped. If she's doing OK, just keep on doing what you've been doing. However, keep an eye on her. As animals age, their reaction times slow down and she may not be able to lead her enemies outside on a merry chase anymore, climb trees or make it under fences, etc. Make sure she can still see and hear OK. Older cats, like older humans, take a little extra care and looking out for.