How much wet food do I feed my 8 month old kitten?

I currently feed my kitty around 6:00am and 5:30pm. He eats 1/4 c. of dry food and 1/2 a can of Friskies. He loves it. I'm wondering if I'm doing it correctly or if this sounds okay. Thanks!

Asked by Member 1159046 on Mar 16th 2013 in Pet Food

Answers

Kittens will usually tell you when they are not getting enough food, they seem to always be hungry and do eat more than a full grown cat. I have a kitten about the same age, and I feed him 1/2 a can of wet food in the morning, with some warm water mixed in it, and 1/2 a can in the evening, and he gets a little bed time snack of about 1/4 of a can of food...otherwise he will cry all night long. Wet food is better for cats but it's good that if you are feeding any dry that it is only the tiny amount you are giving, I would not give him any more than that. You can read up about how dry food is not good for their kidney's. I think by 8 months, they don't need as much as they did when they were younger, and if he is not crying for food all the time, then you are probably doing ok :)

West

Every food has a different feeding recommendation... So I would pay attention to that, and kitty's shape and actions. If he's begging for food, he may need more. On the other hand, if he's starting to get chubby, you can cut back.

My cat is 8 months old, but a big guy- about nine pounds- and he eats 1/2-3/4 cup of dry and one 3oz can of wet food. And he's not overweight at all.

West answered on 3/17/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer