Patch

How much should I be getting fed?

My owner read that since im only three months old, I should be fed as much as I can eat. I often feel sick after eating my canned cat food because I love it so much. Am I being fed too much?;)

Asked by Patch on Sep 7th 2013 Tagged canned, food in Pet Food

Answers

Yes, your mom received incorrect information. On a healthy cat food bag (like Natural Choice kitten) there are set amounts of food to feed per day based upon weight and activity level. If you start free feeding now your cat is more likely to become overweight after it is fully grown. Canned food is more palatable but has 1/3 the protein of kitten dry food. Canned is better as a treat or snack, the Natural Choice soft loaf kitten cans are chicken flavor. If you mix in too much continuously, over time it will cause periodontal disease in your cat's mouth. Greenies cat treats are vet dentist recommended and awesome for cleaning teeth, but your cat needs to be at least 6 months old to eat them because s/he is teething right now. ^_^

Kaylee & Amelia

It's great to hear you're giving your cat canned food. Cats lack a strong moisture drive so they need to get moisture somehow and kibble cannot provide all the moisture they need. Is your cat vomiting after eating? How many meals do you feed per day? Perhaps try feeding smaller amounts several times a day, like 3 or 4 times a day if you can. That way your cat won't need to gorge itself.

Canned cat food is actually less likely to cause periodontal disease than kibble. Check www.catinfo.org for more information about this.

Kaylee & Amelia answered on 9/26/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer