How much Amoxicillin powder from a 50 mL size bottle is needed to reconstitute to 15 mL? How much for Clavamox?

I am a cat foster for a rescue group. When one of my cats needs Clavamox or Amoxicillin, we can buy a 50 mL bottle for a reduce price. This reconstitutes to 50 mL, which is three times what I need. Since it spoils in 2 weeks, the remainder goes to waste.

I've used 1/2 t. of Lek generic Clavamox powder to 14 mL of water to make one 15 mL size bottle. Can you tell me if this is the right ratio or if I should add more powder and/or less water?

Now I have a 50 mL bottle of straight Amoxicillin powder (without the clavulanate potassium), but this seems have much more powder in the bottle to make the same 50 mL amount. How much of that powder (in teaspoons or fractions) would I need to mix with water to make the right amount for a 12 lb cat?

The cat has seen a vet and Clavamox has been prescribed. I just don't want to mix up too much and have it spoil.

Asked by Member 924011 on Nov 28th 2009 Tagged clavamox, amoxicillin, dosage, amount in Medications

Answers

This is a question for a vet. There may some vets lurking among our members, but the regulars on the Answer Board are simply cat owners with various experiences. This sounds like a question that can be answered by the vet over the phone.

Chibi answered on 11/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Chibi (welcome back!) is right. Whenever there is a medical question, we always deflect it to the experts. If you foster for an organization, call their Executive Director to ask about the mixture. My ED for the group I volunteered with was a font of useful information about meds, treatments and such just from experience. In addition, your group should have vets on board that you can contact and ask.

Coralie Grace

Ah man! I mix up the 50ml bottles all the time and now I can't remember! I know its in the mid 20s but I can't remember exactly. Just call any vet and ask them.

Although, it really should be on the box or bottle. I don't have any here to check but make sure you read all the packaging.

I'm also pretty sure that once you've opened the packaging and exposed the powder to the air it all spoils in about 2 weeks whether is reconstituted or not.

Coralie Grace answered on 11/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer