How may I safely "deflea" kittens who are approximately 8 weeks old?

Most flea medications I see very clearly state, "Do not use on kittens." This litter was born in our barn, and we didn't find them and tame them until they were about 4 weeks old. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Asked by Member 588035 on Aug 18th 2009 in Products & Tools

Best Answer

Mr.Cat

How about some D.Earth powder - all natural and very safe - get the organic human grade D.E. - see here:
easy to use....
en.allexperts.com

Mr.Cat answered on Aug 18th.

Answers

It is not safe to put chemicals on kittens of less than six weeks of age. Fleas themselves can also be very dangerous to young kittens and can even result in a kitten dying from anemia so you do need to kill these fleas. More than likely that the mother cat has fleas, too, so first you need to treat the mother cat. If there are other cats or dogs in the household you need to treat all pets and also your house.The safest way to treat a kitten under 6 weeks of age for fleas is to bathe him using warm water and Dawn dishwashing detergent and then to manually pick off remaining fleas. Dawn dishwashing soap is very effective and it kills fleas quickly. Many breeders bathe their cats in Dawn. When you bathe them, make sure you rinse well and keep them as warm as possible so they don't get a chill resulting in an upper respiratory infection.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

I will add the complete link above poster is talking about.

www.catsofaustralia.com

Good luck with the kittens.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 8/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gracie

I would take the kittens to a vet. The vet can weigh them, and you might be in luck. If they kittens weigh more than 1 lbs (which cats at that age should), they can be given capstar, which is a medication that is safe for cats of all stages, and kills fleas within the hour from being administered.

You can also discuss when it will be safe to use a preventive on them. There is at least one that I know of that has a kitten version that is safe for kittens between 1-6 lbs, but you can only obtain it from a vet's prescription.

Even the most environmental of cat owners I know does not recommend anything that is over the counter, as it can be either not safe for your cat, or just plain ineffective, in which case you have just wasted money on the problem. I think your vet is your best resource there.

Gracie answered on 8/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer