how many times a day should an obese cat eat and in what amounts

he saeems to constantly be hungry, is it possible its obsessive? we want him to be healthy and stop with excessive emisis

Asked by Member 1053569 on Apr 13th 2013 in Pet Food

Answers

I'm guessing the cat prob free feeds on dry food? My cat got super fat eating that way. I would switch the cat to a good quality canned food, like Wellness, I swear by the stuff. If you feed good stuff, they can eat less of it and get full. I feed my cats 2 times a day, 1/3 (5.5oz) can a day, 2x a day, with some water mixed in. Since your cat is used to more, maybe feed 3x a day, one meal at bedtime, so probably your cat would eat a whole can, maybe more in the beginning. No more kibble! It makes them fat and leads to kidney issues later in life. It will be hard to switch, they get used to eating 24/7 and it takes time, but it can be done. If they refuse, look up on here how to switch a cat to canned food and follow those guidelines. My cat went from 14 lbs to 9 in a year from switching to canned food only. Do NOT buy diet cat food, esp dry...they will jsut eat more of it and get fatter. No more 24 hour snack bar, it's time to move to 2 or 3 mealtimes a day, it's the only way.

Beep is right. I'm lucky with my cats. They are self-feeders but they are "grazers" and don't over eat. Because you aren't sure how to feed you cat, I do wonder if he's been to the vet's recently. There are medical conditions, such as thyroid issues, that can cause a cat to become heavy without overeating. What Beep says about "diet" food is right, too. Diet food contains a lot of extra fiber. It does fill up the kitty, but it also makes them poop a lot and we recommend it for constipation. Your cat should be checked by the vet for parasites (worms) and any health issues that could be causing his hunger and at that time, you can ask the vet how to feed him and how to deal with his food obsessions.