How long does an average cat live?

i have just gotten a kitten and i plan on keeping him for as long as he lives . I have herd that cats can live to be thirty years old if u really take care of them. this seemed a little far feched to me so i thought i would ask

Asked by Member 928181 on Dec 16th 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

I would say 10 - 15 years is a more realistic guess.

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13

Cats can easily live to be 16-18 years old if they are indoor cats. Some cats have lived to be older than that, and some not quite as old. It is very, very rare that a cat lives to be 30 although it has happened. Good care is an important factor, but don't underestimate the role of genetics. For example, I am 13 and Sebastian is 8, but he has a heart condition and I do not. So basically, I am "healthier" than he is. Unfortunately, with most cats, it is hard to know what family traits we inherited, unless we were bought from a breeder.

My suggestion is to not worry about the longevity of your new kitten, but to enjoy each and every day as a special gift. Good luck with your new friend and may you have many wonderful, happy years with him. :)

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13 answered on 12/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Casper

Well, it all really depends. i think it's pretty obvious that if your cat is an outdoor cat he/she will probably last only 10-15 yrs or so. but if you have an indoor cat he or she will usually last MAYBE 20 -25, if u take good care of them. I'm not really sure cats can live up to 30. That is a bit far-fetched.... As i said outdoor cats will probably get killed sooner then indoor cats cause of the diseases, other cats or dogs, mad drivers not watching where they are going or even a simple "Im Lost!" accident.

some people just dnt Care.

Hope i helped!

PS: i recomend if you are getting a cat getin a cat make it an indoor cat if you dnt want it to die!

Casper answered on 12/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Minxy (1987-2008)

The oldest cat was 36 years but 30+ is very very rare. For indoor cats 15+ is pretty common and 20+ is unusal but not unheard of. Like people some cats can die of things like cancer when they are young even though you take good care of them.

My cats have lived to 18,19 and 21 and I have a 16 year old who is still going strong.

The basic things you can do to help your cat live a long live are:
1) Keep him inside or mainly inside (to avoid accidents, getting run over or attacked by wild animals) especially if you live near a busy road or there ar eanimals like coyotes in your area.
2) Get him an annual check up at the vets and take them in if they seem sick or hurt. Dealing with injuries or medical issues early will prevent complications and serious issues.
3) get him fixed by the time he's 6 months old . Un-neutered amale cats will want to roam and fight with other cats to find females.

Good luck with your kitten and I hope he's one of the cats that makes it to 20+

Minxy (1987-2008) answered on 12/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

30 years! Holy Cats! That's a lot of Purina One!! You've gotten some excellent advice from the other posters. The most important thing is that you realize this cat depends on you for his health and well-being. That means regular vet care with a real vet. If he's sick, don't write to us and ask us what's wrong with him because we're not vets. Absolutely neuter him and you know why. Feed him the best food you can afford. If it's off the pet store or grocery shelf, that's fine. Play with him. Expose him to calm, gentle people who like cats and will adore him. Build up his self-confidence so he won't hide and be shy by involving him in your daily life. Keep his litter box clean daily so he won't start not using his box and making himself unpopular. Teach him now to be an indoor cat. Once he goes outside, teaching him to be inside is darn near impossible. Most importantly, realize that no matter how long he lives, he is your responsibility. He's counting on you!