Close X

How do you train a therapy cat?

I've heard that it is possible to train cats to visit people in nursin homes, and I would like to know how to train our new kitten to do so, but I on't know how. Is there any information available?

Asked by Kit-Kat on Mar 16th 2008 Tagged training, therapy, socialization in Methods of Training

well first you have to make sure that your cat has the right temperament. If you think that your cat has the right temperament than I would suggest that you buy this book called " Delta Society Student Manual Pet Partners Team Training Course." It is a bit expensive ( about $40) but it is sure worth the money. It has a bunch of great information about how to prepare your cat for therapy work and what kind of people you would visit.

You could also see if there is a Delta Society program going on in your area that you could get involved at. I would suggest you contact your local hospital or nursing home to see if they are aware of any program going on in your area.

I know in my area the S.P.C.A. near me has a program called companion animal therapy. Try contacting the animal shelter near you and ask if they have any animal therapy programs.

I hope it works out Kit-Kat!

Garfield answered on 3/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer