Star

How do you teach your cat to speak English?

Sometimes I see videos of cats Saying "I love you." etc...How does one teach their cat to talk?

Asked by Star on Jun 12th 2009 Tagged talking, communicating in Socialization

Best Answer

Margaret

It is a very interesting process. First your cat has to be between 2 and 3 years of age. Second of all they have to WANT to talk. If they meow back when you talk to them, or make lots of noise like they are trying to communicate with you then you might be able to.

Then follow these instructions.

1. Everytime you see your cat or talk to it, say the same desired expression. Most cats only ever learn 1 to 3 words of phrases.

2. If your cat answers in a similar pattern, give them a treat or pet them. If you say "I love you" and they respond "Me meow meow" you're on the right path. Keep rewarding them, but gradually make the item difficult. You want to slowly form "Me Meow Meow" into "E mow mou" then "E mouve mou" then "I mouve ou" then "I love you."

3. If you hear you cat talking in the next room, stay out! They like to practice in privacy. Only reward it if there right next to you. It can take up to a year for a cat to learn a phrase. If they don't learn it by then, give up.

Margaret answered on Jun 15th.

Answers

To answer both your questions, the "talking animals" we might see on youtube, other Internet sites and on television are mostly the power of suggestion. We hear what we're told we're going to hear. If we weren't told anything about the "talking animal", we would probably write off their "words" as just meowing or barking. Cats and dogs aren't birds and they can't be "taught" to speak.