how do you take a cat a bath without getting scratched?

My cat once we put him in the shower and he was going crazy.and when ever we take kim a bath he scratches us.we used tape to wrap his feet but the tape got stuck on his fur.

Asked by Member 638552 on May 29th 2008 in Grooming

Answers

Skuya

Forget the tape, as you found out, not good to use- fur & in general.
Does he really need a bath? Maybe just brush him? Sev. here need baths because they are overwt, here's what I do-
Gather all your supplies, get a helper if you can, & some soft music wouldn't be bad. Spend a little time with kitty reassuring him. I get together- some towels, baby (no-tear) soap, joy dish soap, (if you want to put on for a few mins for flea tx (per poster here)), a cup to rinse. Wear some old clothes & if you think kitty knows what's planned, pick him up in one of the towels. You can drop it on him from above, & when he's wondering, "hey, who turned out the lights?", pick him up & gently carry him to the Bath. Gentle & Calm are the keys, kitty will pick-up on your attitude. Put him in the tub & you or your helper can hold him, then H2O. If he is trying to jump like a kangaroo put towel in front, as a bib, holding it (not too tight) at the back of his neck. He won't be able to jump then. Wash away!

Skuya answered on 5/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think I saw something like what you did to your kitty on "Criminal Minds" about a serial killer...Seriously, when my son used to bathe his cat, he enlisted the help of his loving girlfriend and they did what Skyua suggested--wrapping him in a towel. But unless your kitty is VERY dirty or has been hit by a skunk, most kitties are OK with just being brushed. Delilah and Izzie are fairly long haired and I brush them a few times a day. It keeps them clean and groomed. I wouldn't even attempt to bathe the Diva, Delilah. The outcry from her would make the news at 11PM!!

Cleo (The Queen)

Mommy washes us is extra warm water-it really works. Cats normal temp. is 102. People's body temp. is a lot lower,so what is warm to them isn't to us-it is cold. Mommy says the water feels VERY warm to her, but for us we love it so much we purrrr and move under the water.

Cleo (The Queen) answered on 5/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lots of good ideas here. I have Maine Coon show kitties who get very thorough baths on a regular basis, but while they don't like the bathing, they put up with it. I think Cleo's idea was great--I was always washing them in lukewarm water because I didn't want to scald them, but water that's closer to their body temperature is probably a better idea. As Izzie points out, the best way to avoid having to bathe Kitty is regular grooming. I would add, however, that a metal comb (preferably one with both fine and coarse teeth) is better than a brush for removing dead fur and preventing mats. Until I got my Maine Coons, I never thought that bathing cats was necessary, but there's nothing like a bath for getting rid of dead underfur (thus fewer hairballs and less shedding) and helping a longhaired Kitty keep him/herself feeling pretty and perky. If you can get Kitty used to the occasional bath, I can guarantee that both you and Kitty will be happier in the long run.

Garfield--D of D Jan 26 2010

Hi there, Before I came down wih diabeties my owner used to give me a bath once and a while and of course I didn't like it. He used to fill the tub with warm water and hold me tight with my back to him. I use to try like crazy to get away but he wouldn't let me. Oh I tried to scratch him but was unsucessful. He even put me under the running water to rinse me off. Boy would I put up a struggle, but in the end when I dryed myself off by licking myself I felt much better with all the loose fur gone.

Garfield--D of D Jan 26 2010 answered on 5/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tabby

First, trim your cat's claws. Then brush him well to remove any dead hair. Reassure him with treats by doing so he would make a positive association. Then place a rubber mat to avoid slipping (assures the cat that he has a hold on the slippery bath tub!)Use very warm water( not HOT!)(you can use a thermometer to check its temp to be not beyond 102.) I do this to ensure my kitty is safe and not getting scalded by hot water!. Then close the bathroom door and make sure you talk to him in a soothing tone to make him feel comfortable. I use a small bucket and a pail to wash her and I dont use running water.sometimes it comes with a force that might irritate your cat. Try not to pour water over his head. I always hold my kitty's head a little elevated using my palm and then pour water gently over her body. Keep reassuring he is a good boy! Ensure you rinse him thoroughly to remove all the shampoo residue. Then wrap him in a warm towel and give him the treat he likes best. Good luck.

Tabby answered on 5/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer