Sassy

How do you get a stray cat to not be scared of me?

Asked by Sassy on Nov 14th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

gracie tatanka

put out food spend as much time in their vacinity as possable and then ignore them! the reason cats tend to be attracted to visitors that dont like cats is because these visitors try to ignore them and in doing so give all the right signals to the cat that they are not a threat so if your stray kitty doesnt feel threatened and there are nice treats of easy food around she might start to get curious nosey and friendly to you! good luck and just give them their own time and space to come around.

gracie tatanka answered on 11/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have had success with both stray and feral cats coming around and being "friendly". There are seven ferals and one stray I feed twice daily. Stay on a schedule feeding the stray cat and eventually it may bond with you. It is easier to get a stray to be friendly than a feral cat. There are two ferals that actually let me pet their heads only when they are eating. You must be very careful not to scare or startle the cat, or try to move the food dish when he/she is eating. This may provoke the cat to attacking, scratching or biting you. Always protect your hands. If the cat is a stray, it will eventually trust you. One more word of advice - try to get that kitty fixed ASAP! Best of luck.