How do I stop obsessing about leaving for a week on vacation and leaving my cat behind?

Hey! I'm sure this question has been asked to death, but I really need a soundboard right now.

So tomorrow I'm leaving on vacation for a week and, even though I do it every year, I'm absolutely terrified that something will happen to my 8 year old Birman while I'm gone.

As usual, he will stay home and my mother will visit at least once a day to feed him, change his water and litter and hang out with him for a while. We have had this arrangement for years, but this year I seem to have crossed the line towards a new kind of insanity.

Basically, I have been so worried this whole week, making up crazy scenarios, that I'm absolutely exhausted and not in the least bit excited about my vacation. Nothing bad has ever happened, other than him being pretty sad for the first two days or so, but still I can't stop worrying. My top worry right now is that he will dash past my mother out the door. It's highly unlikely, but I'm literally losing sleep over it.

Does anyone have any coping tips?

Asked by Member 1130779 on Jul 14th 2013 Tagged vacation, separation, anxiety, worry in Other Travel & Recreation

Answers

Think of it this way. You've done it this way for years and all has been well. He loves his grandma, probably even more b/c she comes in to feed him and take care of his hygienic needs. If he's not a "bolter", it's highly unlikely he'll start now especially because he'd be missing out on playtime and more importantly, feeding time. Izzie got out the other night when I had to call 911 for my hubby. He was back within 10 minutes, scared poopless. Unless grandma stands there with the door open and says, "C'mon, Fluffy, run outside!" I doubt if he'll even get up to greet her until she grabs the food bag/can. Stop torturing yourself. Everything will be FINE!! Do you really WANT to go on this vacation or is there a backstory here? 8o) Might you be looking for an excuse to back out of the trip? Be calm, trust in grandma's ability to take care of your boy. They will be fine!!

You can hire a cat sitting service if you don't think she's up to it. The service also provides extra security because they are licensed and bonded if something happens. If your animal experiences separation anxiety, it's because they feed off of your energy and you'll need to try and calm down before they will be able to. ^_^