Oscar

How do I stop my kitten from peeing on the carpet?

He's 12wks old and I have had him for one week. He uses his litter box all the time except when he's in the living room. He has peed in the same corner on the carpet 3 times now!! The first time I didn't know what he did until I investigated later. The second time I caught him and tried to stop him by picking him up and that just made him pee everywhere. I scrubbed the carpet and then deodorized with powder you vacuum up. Then today at lunch as I was watching him , HE DID IT AGAIN! He tricked me because he sat down with his leg out to the side so I didn't realize what he was doing until it was too late. I fear he is on his way to making this a very bad habit. I have been keeping him confined for the most part in one room but let him roam freely while I'm at home. I read this is a good way to introduce kittens to a new home. But how can I stop this behavior, I don't want to leave him locked up forever . I bought some urine odor eliminator from the pet store , but what else can I do?

Asked by Oscar on Oct 14th 2008 Tagged urinesoiling, peeingoncarpet, marking in Litter Box Training

Answers

Henry (1996-2010)

If you've taken him to the vet and he doesn't have any problems, it sounds like he's trying to get his scent in the living room. You say he's going in the same corner every time? Maybe it's his way of telling you that the litter box is too far away for his little self to get to, and to put one there. My Henry did the same thing the first week I had him, and once I put a box in the corner he was using, the problem was solved.

I would definitely put a box in this spot that he has chosen, as it may just be a convenient potty thing.

Henry (1996-2010) answered on 10/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gracie

What did you scrub the carpet with? I hope it was something like Nature's Miracle. Otherwise, a non-enzymatic cleaner will not get rid of the scent, which means that kitty can still smell old pee.

One thing you can do besides putting a litterbox there is to put a bowl of food there. Cats don't eliminate near food, so you've got that going for them.

I agree with the other catster that perhaps his litterbox is too far right now. Some cats don't have a problem with it (my kitten is a racer - she'll wait until the last minute to eliminate, and then she races back to the litterbox at high speed), but others do need proximity to a box because they get too busy playing. If your place is big, you might need one box at each end of the house to make sure he always has a spot he can reach right away

Maybe you should let the roaming happen gradually. Start with opening up only the room next to his, and let him explore that room alone first. As things progress, expand the roaming area slowly

Gracie answered on 10/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bailey

Bailey was doing this same thing when she was little. It was my fault. The litterbox was just too far away. It was upstairs and her little legs couldn't get her there fast enough when the urge to go happened. She just picked a corner of the living room and peed on the carpet. Then the older kitten who had never had an issue decided she would go there too since it smelled like pee. I cleaned it really well with Nature's Miracle and then put a litterbox there until she got a little older. Then I gradually moved it through the house (giving them time to know where it was going) until it was where I wanted it to be. i didn't want a litterbox in my living room, but it was better than pee on my carpet for the short time it took to train her.

Bailey answered on 10/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer