How do I stop my cat from urinating on the floor next to her litter box?

My 14 year old cat has recently started to urinate occasionally on the tile floor of her bathroom. She doesn't do it all of the time -- just when the mood hits her. This is completely new behavior and I have no idea what to do. This is completely abnormal for her -- she's the kind of cat who will interrupt a walk in the garden to come back inside to use the litter box. The type of litter has not changed nor have the brand of liners. I am absolutely perplexed. Suggestions and advice are most welcome -- PLEASE!

Asked by Member 1093712 on Feb 20th 2012 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

You have a senior Kitty and like senior citizens of all species holding urine can be challenging. Its possible she just dribbled a little before she's all the way in her box. Aside from ruling out any health concerns with a vet exam and blood test compassion and understanding is what your Kitty needs the most. She probably is embarrassed, even though she's trying her best. They make puppy piddle pads that are absorbent on top and plastic underneath you can use around the box. Paper towels over plastic sheets work good too. Urine can roll off newspaper but its better than nothing and a light coating of flour or baking soda may help Keep the urine around long enough for the newspaper to absorb it. Adding additional boxes around the house would help a lot.when u gotta go distance is a major factor in sucess. God bless her for her efforts