how do I stop cats from pooping in my flowerbed

Asked by Member 881579 on Sep 17th 2009 Tagged poop in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

I put down cedar mulch and it seemed to help. I don't know if it was the smell or the feel of the bark. My neighbor's cat kept leaving me "presents" and I was sick of it. Mine live in the house and poop in a box so why should I have to deal with her cat's poop too? LOL There is also a repellant product that I bought that you can sprinkle in the area. It has coyote pee in it so it's supposed to scare them. I haven't tried it yet because the mulch helped but that may work for you if you don't want to use bark mulch. It's called Shake Away.

If you have bird feeders or any food source like open garbage cans or food for your own pets out, take that up. If you see the cats pooping, turn the hose on them, but use only water and don't hit them in the face. I've also heard that coleus plants and lavender are effective repellants and there is no need to reapply everytime it rains.

♥ Tasha ♥

* amonia soaked (corncobs, etc)
* aluminum foil
* bamboo skewers
* black pepper
* blood meal fertilizer
* bramble cuttings
* Carefresh - "recycled" wood pulp
* catnip - donated into your neighbor's yards (so they'll stay in their own yards)
* cedar compost
* chicken wire (metal or plastic)
* cinnamon
* citrus peels
* citrus spray
* cocoa bean shells
* coffee grounds -fresh & unbrewed, not just a light sprinkling (highly recommended by MANY Gardenwebbers!)
* dogs
* electric fence for animals
* essence of orange. essence of lemon, lime (citrus essential oils)
* fresh manure(ditto)
* garlic cloves
* gumballs from the Sweet Gum Tree
* gutter covers
* hardware cloth
* heavy bark mulch
* holly leaves
* keep the area damp, they like dry soil
* lavender
* liquid manure (good for your garden too)
* motion sensor sprinkler
* pennyroyal
* pinecones
* pipe tobacco
* plastic forks
* predator urine
* red wine vinegar
* river rocks over the exposed soil
* rocks, crushed
* rose bush clippings
* rue, an herb (Ruta graveolens) (highly recommended in plant form only)
* short twigs throughout the planted area about 6" apart
* six-inch bamboo skewers (pointy side up)
* Spray on your leaves (not the cat): fill a spray bottle with 1/2 t chili powder, 1/2 t cayenne pepper, 1 t dish soap and water
* squirt gun with water
* talk to your neighbors
* tansy
* thorny berry, lilac, hawthorn, rose clippings
* toothpicks
* upside down vinyl carpet
* vinegar sprayed on areas where they roam
* water bottle on "stream"

NOT RECOMMENDED:
*** chili powder, red crushed pepper, cayenne pepper (NOT recommended), it gets on the cat's paws then they wash themselves and they get it in their eyes, beware cats have literally scratched their eyes out because of this. Even if it's one cat out of 500 infected in this way, that's one too many for me.
*** Don't ever use mothballs or flakes. Those little toxic waste pellets destroy cats' kidney function, could seriously harm people who handle them, and yes, contaminate your own garden soil. Their packaging even warns against using them this way.

♥ Tasha ♥ answered on 9/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

Get yourself a dog....MOL.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 9/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer