how do i punish my cat when she tries to bite or scratch someone or me.

i don't always have a squirt bottle handy and i usually lightly smack her on the head

Asked by Member 1149820 on Jan 13th 2013 Tagged punishment, biting, scratching in Scratching

Answers

Most often, the best offense is a good defense. Learn to read your cat's body language. If she bites and scratches when you try to pick her up, then don't try to pick her up. Cats don't like to have their feet off the ground. If her ears go back, her eyes get wide and she starts to growl, leave her alone. Caution friends and family members to do the same. Also, make sure she's spayed. Heat cycles can make female cats very excitable and grouchy. Under no circumstances should you use your hands to punish your cat, even "lightly". She will associate your hands with punishment and that will cause her to bite or claw at them. When she bites without provocation, say a loud "NO BITE!" and walk away. But do learn to read her signals. Delilah growls and I stop what I'm doing, usually getting to close to her neck, chest or stomach.

Lucky

When my cat misbehaves I clap as loud as I can and sternly say her name

Lucky answered on 1/17/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer