How do i know my cat is producing enough milk for her babies? is there anything i can do to help her produce more?

My cat is almost a year old and had her first litter of kittens about a week ago. She doesn't seem to be satisfying the kittens and they all fight over 1 nipple. Is she not producing enough milk or drying up? Is there anything I can do to help her produce milk quicker and more fulfilling for the babies? I'm new to the cat world..HELP!!

Asked by Member 728950 on Sep 6th 2008 Tagged ismycatproducingenoughmilk in Pregnancy

Answers

Bella (In Loving Memory)

Kittens should sleep when they aren't eating if they are only a week old. A full, content kitten will sleep when hes not eating. They should eat about every 2 hours, then sleep. If they're spending more time crying than sleeping and eating then they aren't getting enough. A content 1 week old rarely cries.

You may need to bottle supplement. You can buy a kit from any pet store, just STAY AWAY from Hartz formula. Choose KMR or Just Born. Feed the kittens every two hours and follow the feeding instructions. They'll tell you how much to feed based on weight. If the mom is still cleaning their bottoms and forcing them to eliminate you should count your blessings!!

I foster infant kittens all the time (part of my job), so feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 9/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Skuya

Fighting over one nipple is a stage they go through & quite normal. They are establishing rank. My bet is they're getting enough milk.
Mom is really best at feeding them. A mom kitty & her kittens should be left undisturbed for the first 2 weeks, except for general care of mom (food/ box cleaning ) & general supervision. If, however, a kitten Is crying lots, then you may need to step in. I would still try putting that one right under mom's chin first, so she'll give him/her more attention.
If you do need to supplemental feed, be aware that cold is a danger to a kitten. They need to be kept warm while being fed. Cold can shut a kitten down & be lethal. They snuggle together and with mom to stay warm while nursing.
If mom kitty is not eating Kitten food, you could try switching her to that. Gradually, over a week, add more of the kitten food, if she's eating dry. If canned, have both and then in a few days just kitten canned.
Can give dry & canned, she's going to need the calories!

Skuya answered on 9/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If I were you, I would first ask my vet about this, although I've found that some vets know a lot more about preventing pregnancies than about pregnancy, birth, and nursing. In any event, from hanging around with knowledgeable breeders in the show cat world, I've seen my share of nursing momcats, and they always look sort of scraggly, because nursing takes out so much from them (at least in the Maine Coons I've seen). Make sure that the momcat has constant access to dry kitten food (higher calories, more nutrition), and supplement that with wet kitten food, and any other good source of protein and nutrition. If the problem is not that momcat isn't getting enough food and/or nutrition, then you should supplement the kittens' diet as the other posters have explained. Personally, I would have her checked out by a vet first, however, just to make sure that she is lactating properly. Good luck, and make sure that you find good homes for the little ones!

I have took care of kittens and if they are all fighting over milk i agree get a bottle of kmr it's not easy feeding them they squrm and sometimes they dont even like it maybe you should take her to a vet and see what they say but meanwhile i think you should just buy a bottle of the milk formula. it is her first time giving birth so she is probably just not getting enough nutrition