Marley

How do I keep my neutered male cat(10months old) from wanting to run out the door any chance he gets?

I got him neutered at 6 months old hoping to prevent him from wanting to go outside and find females, but it apparently did not work. He darts out the door as soon as it opens and sometimes he runs off other times he just rolls around on the steps...which I don't understand at all. I was hoping someone could tell me what I can do to make him not want to run out the door, I am worried something bad will happen to him.

Asked by Marley on Jun 8th 2010 Tagged escaping in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

It's very difficult to keep a cat indoors if he/she wants to go out. I can tell you that I've had 2 (altered) cats killed outside in the past 2 years and it's not a fun situation. Lily Rose was killed last week and I still don't know how she died. I used to get her to come inside by giving her her favorite Temptations treats. It worked really well. I couldn't stop her from wanting to go out, but it did work to get her back in. It also works to keep Izzie inside. I put the treats on the kitchen table when I open the door, usually to let my dogs out. He's so busy eating them that he doesn't notice the door is open. A screen door also helps so you can grab them and pick them up. The only thing you can do is know exactly where he is when you open the door and pick him up before you do it. You also have to watch so your windows aren't open high enough for him to get out. Lily tore through all our screens to get out. It's not just a desire to mate that makes them want to get out!

Maxey

I have 5 females. 3 are strays i adopted from shelters, (they were found outside). One of the
things i did was first made sure i knew where they all were and if they started heading for the door i just stomped my foot down and and firmly said "no". I had to to do this several times. This seemed to deter them, and i really dont have any problems anymore, occasionally one of them may try their luck but i just repeat the stomp and the no and it seems to still work. Remember cats do understand commands :o) Good luck

Maxey answered on 6/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hunter *Dreamboat #82*

I too have a cat who would LOVE to go outside. Its especially hard when I leave for work. I do what Izzie does. I wait as long as I can, get everything ready for when I have to leave, grab my keys and then he jumps on the chair to get his Temptation treats. It distracts him from me leaving, and also lets him know that its okay for me to leave. I think he has separation anxiety. He sticks to me like glue in the morning! Its gotten a lot better! As long as I keep him stocked with the treats, it works wonders for me!

Hunter *Dreamboat #82* answered on 6/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer