How do I help prevent the spread of calicivirus outside of my home to my friends' cats & caretakers cats?

I have a fully vaccinated since she was a baby 11 year old cat that lost her (and my) beloved life companion very suddenly in June, so I decided to adopt a cat as a companion. I unwittingly adopted a cat that has calicivirus. After coming home, he was isolated and went to the vet within 24 hours to have tests done to confirm negative FeLV and FIV status and a general check up. Aside from dermatitis and gingivitis he was given a clean bill of health. After a couple weeks of successful through the door intros, I let him mingle with her.

My senior cat fell seriously ill and was rushed to a vet who diagnosed calicivirus (obviously acquired from the new cat). She is being medicated 2x a day, force fed at home and IV fluids at the vet every other day. The guilt I have for exposing her and seeing her suffer has been truly awful.

I would hate if a friend carried this home to their beloved pets. Handwashing does not sound 100% effective. What info can I give them to help prevent this?

Asked by Member 1130417 on Sep 12th 2012 Tagged calicivirus, uri in Illness & Disease

Answers

I am so sorry for your loss and the subsequent trauma you are suffering now. Calcivirus is an upper-respiratory infection that is actually pretty common in cats. It presents with flu-like symptoms and like a human flu shot, a vaccination is available to prevent a severe reaction to the virus. I believe the virus cannot be transmitted from human to cat. The virus is airborne, much like the human cold. If your friend's cats have come in contact with your cats when they were contagious, then I would suggest they keep in contact with their vets. Other than that, thorough cleaning of the items the cats use, such as litter boxes, beds, dishes, toys, etc. with a bleach solution is about all you can do. Hope your little senior lady feels better fast. Don't blame yourself. It happens to the best of us.