How do I get over the guilt of having my cat put down...

My cat (we think 16 or 17) has had problems for the last year or so with bowel control. We watched him for any signs of discomfort but he continued eating, drinking, and being his normal fiesty self. Buddy had the type of personality in which he didn't like to be snuggled but over the years I loved on him enough that he purred and rubbed against me when he wanted affection. We had a strong bond. Over the last few weeks, his BMs became more frequent and loose, and some had blood in them. He was also vomiting, and more forcefully than with a normal hairball. On Friday we called the vet and after discussion, it was determined that it was his time. We took him in yesterday to be put down and I held him as he drifted away.

This has been harder than I thought it would be. I'm heartbroken and feel like there is a void in my life without his welcoming meows and his headbutts for attention. I'm guilt ridden wondering if it really was the right time. The what if's plague me. I just miss him.

Asked by Member 1194272 on Oct 13th 2013 Tagged grief, loss, sadness, death, euthanasia, petloss, needhelp in Health & Wellness

Answers

YOU DID THE RIGHT THING. THERE IS NO DIGNITY IN WATCHING AN ANIMAL SUFFER. I have a friend who waited and her cat's bowels started coming out of her bum like hemhorroids. It's hard being lonely, and next time when your cat is about nine you will get another one so that you don't have to be cat-less. You can also think about making a pet memorial or creamating him so that he will always be with you. peace ^_^

More Questions in This Category