How do I get my old cats to get along with the new cat that I have brought into the home?

I have had two cats both Himilayans for the last 10 years. Recently my neighbor pasted away and I took one of her cats. This cat has one eye and is blind. I have put this cat in a cage and put him in my bedroom. The door is left open so that my other cats can come and go and get to know the new cat. However, they won't even go into the room and look at him. I don't know how to introduce they so they can live together in the same household. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Asked by Member 664253 on Jan 28th 2009 Tagged cats, socialization, introducingnewcats in Socialization

Answers

The following website is one of the best and most extensive I've read on introducing cats to each other:
www.littlebigcat.com

Petra

Because the new cat is blind things will take longer than normal but you will be able to successfully introduce them if you give it time.

You'd be better off using a spare room for the new cat. This will let him settle in and have somewhere safe with a reasonable amount of room. A few times you should shut your cats in your bedroom and let the new cat explore the house for an hour so he can find hs way around without any risk of getting into a fight with your current cats. This will also help everyone get used to each others smells.

Once your new cat is acting more confident on his trips around your house and has learned his way around you can start the introductions. The next time leave one of your cats out and let them meet. They'll probably hiss which is fine but be ready with a water pistol/plant sprayer in caes they fight. Let them meet one at a time to start with before you try everyone together.

Also get some Feliway which really helps keep cats calm.

Petra answered on 1/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer