how do i get my dog to stop being so aggressive with my new kitten?

i just got a little kitten and brought it home to my 6 year old mutt. we arent sure what breeds the dog is but he seems to be a little hunting dog. he went crazy with the kitten and barked non-stop. he wouldnt leave her alone and even though i didnt let him get too close to the kitty, im scared he might hurt her. i heard that cats always win over dogs and scare them away. but it seemed like my dog wanted to kill it, and would have, too. is that a possibility? and is it possible to still keep both pets in the same house?

Asked by Member 648051 on Jun 29th 2008 Tagged kittens, dogs in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Sergei

Who ever told you about that that cats win over dogs, he's not right! You said it;s a kitten, how could a kitten scare a 6 year old dog?? And yes(!!) dog could and would kill the kitten, especially if he's so aggressive as you described! So, don't keep them together at all! You'll just traumatise the kitten and make the dog even more hysteric about him...It's the different story if the are both young, or if a dog has use to cat companions.

Sergei answered on 7/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 9 Report this answer

You need to take your dog for a LONG walk. After he is super tired, bring him home and put him in a relaxed submissive position (laying or belly up). Then, keep him calm while you introduce the kitten. Pet and massage, while the kitten roams about, so that your dog connects relaxation with your kitty. It may take a few tries, but it will work. I got my Rotti to stop chasing my cat doing this. Its okay for the dog to sniff the cat, but intent staring and agressiveness should be squashed whenever he shows it. Lay him down and make him stay there till he relaxes. And keep him excercised, if he gets bored or frustrated, a prey like animal is a good outlet, especially for a hunting breed canine.