Bentley Meow Meow

How do I get my cat to stop urinating on my things?

All of a sudden my 5 yr. old cat Bentley began urinating on things we left on our bedroom floor (from clothes, to a pillow, etc.). I have an appt. in two days to make sure he's not sick, but if it's just behavioral... what can I do to make him stop?

Asked by Bentley Meow Meow on Oct 18th 2007 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Best Answer

Boris

Bentley's mom:

Well, going to the vet is a first step: you want to make sure he doesn't have a UTI. That would make it really hurt for him to go in his litter box, which would explain him urinating on soft surfaces: he thinks the box hurts him, and so he is avoiding it. Most of the time sudden peeing points to exactly that problem.

Should Bentley not be sick, I would look at his living situation next: has anything major changed? Like: did you have a roommate/family member living with you who has since moved out? How about having someone move in? Or for some other changes: has another cat moved into the neighborhood? Have you started working different hours? Or were you at home 24x7 and are not there all the time anymore? Us cats like our routine, and if we are upset and you don't notice any other way, we will start peeing to get attention. In that case, you have to figure out how to get him used to the changes.

But before looking at it as a behavior problem, please rule out a UTI.

Boris answered on Oct 18th.

There Are No Other Answers