Strider

How do I get my cat to stop crying and begging for food in the mornings?

My cat cries every morning for food. We used to feed him at 8 but now he wakes up at around 5:30 crying and knocking things down until he gets fed. If he is ignored, he will not stop. If he is removed from the bedroom, he will howl and scratch the door until he is fed or let back in. I hate to give in because I know the behavior is being reinforced, but I end up losing about 2 hours of sleep every morning due to this. We feed him twice a day, 1/2 can wet food in the morning and 1/4 cup dry food at night. I know he's getting enough food because we tried feeding him a third meal but he would still wake up in the morning crying for food and he was gaining weight (he maintains his weight on this diet). We don't feed him his night meal until midnight because when we've fed him earlier he would wake up at 2 in the morning crying for food. Our vet suggests using a food timer, but we would have to switch to dry food only. Also, when we spray him with water he only stops for a short time.

Asked by Strider on Feb 4th 2013 Tagged crying, noise, feeding in Behavior & Training

Answers

Lefty

Dry food in most cases, is better than canned food & definitely more economical because you're not paying for all the water that's in the can.

For years now, I free choice feed my cats dry food. They never wake me up to be fed. They just fill my bed with warmth & comforting purrs.

Lefty answered on 3/15/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer