How do I get my cat to stop biting me when he wants attention?

Even after I've played with him, if he still wants attention he will circle me, rub his face up against any doorway or surface where I happen to be at the moment, and if that still doesn't get my attention he will bite me (usually on or near my calf). FYI he is a Tabby/Bengal mix.

Asked by Member 1149292 on Jan 10th 2013 Tagged overstimulation, biting, bengal in Behavior & Training

Answers

Wow, he must be gorgeous. Consider joining Catster and posting photos! If your cat is sinking his teeth in and drawing blood, this is unacceptable behavior. Delilah languished in a shelter for a year because she was a clawer and a biter. They told me I was crazy for adopting her, but here's how I handled it. I watched how I played with her and didn't get her too excited. She tended to bite more when she was worked up. If I was petting her and she bit me, I would say "NO BITE!" and shoot a spray of water in front of her face (not ON her) put her down off my lap and walk away. You can also shake a soda can with a few pennies taped inside when he does this. Never, under any conditions, play with him with your hands or feet. Always use a toy. Keep playtimes as low key as possible. If you know he's about to bite, get up and walk away from him. If he continues, say "NO BITE", pick him up and put him in a room for a minute in "time out".

I know what you mean.Your cat is playing with you back!If you dont like him biting,turn around and fold your arms,keeping no eye contact with your cat.If it does not work,fold your arms again keeping no eye contact and walk out of the room as if you are disgusted by his behaviour.Do this every time he trys to bite you and he will start to know not to bite you because you dont want his attention because he bit you.