How do I get my cat to love me too?

My cat (a siamese) is five years old and has lived with my fiance since she was a kitten. I moved in with him 2.5 years ago, and it took about six months for her to warm up to me. After that, she pretty much divided her attention between the two of us, going to him for play time and me for cuddling. We just bought a new house and moved in a month ago, and I did everything I could to help her acclimate into the new environment. For the first week here, she was attached to me, and now she just wants my fiance! She generally has little interest in me and will leave me to follow him around the house and just be with him. I know he's always going to be number one, but I'd like to at least come in a close second! Any advice?

Asked by Member 1070620 on Nov 14th 2011 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I would try to be the only one who feeds her, grooms her, gives treats, etc Pay extra attention to her but never force attention on her like picking her up when she doesn't want to be picked up. Cats pretty much make their own decisions and they don't always make sense to us. My boyfriend has always hoped that one of the cats would love him best and he has been with me when we picked up each one so they have all known him for as long as me. But I am always here and they see me all day long. (I work at home) Every single one of them will always love and trust me the most and there is really no way to change their minds. He tries so hard. LOL I would say that as long as she isn't angry with you (aggressive, peeing on your things or other misbehaving) you just need to give her time and keep showing her that you love her.

Siamese are said to tend to be one person cats. She may never change. On the other hand, a few treats and interactive playing may help.

Legolas (Legaly)-Forever Loved

I have a similar situation. My live-in-boyfriend's cat finally warmed up to me once I took sole responsibility for feeding the cat (and cleaning the litter)--I keep his dry food bowl filled, and feed him a little bit of wet food in the mornings and at night. It took a few months, and my boyfriend will still be his #1, but now the cat sleeps on me sometimes, talks to me more, and generally goes out of his way to show me affection. He's a sweetheart and I love that we have become pals.

Legolas (Legaly)-Forever Loved answered on 11/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer