How come my cat will drink from anything BUT his bowl?

My cat doesn't like to drink from his bowl, even when we wash it at least twice a day, and even when we switched his old bowl with a new stainless steel one. However, he IS getting water. He gets it from our cups when we aren't watching him. He even drinks from the tap, and sometimes licks the shower floor after we're done taking a shower. He drinks from everywhere BUT his bowl....is this a concern? If so, what should we do about it?

Asked by Member 993659 on Jul 4th 2010 Tagged drinking, bowl, problem in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Some cats just like drinking from running water. You may want to buy him a cat fountain. My vet suggested this when my cat was diagnosed with chronic renal failure and was dehydrated. (She has since passed away.) My new cat, Angel, likes the water fountain too! It does sound like your cat gets water, but my only concern is how much and is it adequate? Hopefully, he doesn't try to drink out of the toilet. Keep the lid closed just in case. You certainly don't want him drinking from there.

Leia

My kitten had this problem too, but I wasn't too worried because I fed wet food and that has lots of water in it and I even add some water to the food to make sure she has enough. I did however go and purchase a cat fountain because she was always trying to lick the tap water and water in dishes lol If you are only feeding dry food, your cat will be very dehydrated and a cat fountain would be good, but feeding wet food would solve the problem of hydration and you wouldn't need to buy a fountain. Many cats don't like to drink out of water bowls, it's not a concern as long as you find something to replace the water bowl.

Leia answered on 7/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Panda

A definite concern is making sure he has enough water because if he's not drinking from his bowl, he could easily be dehydrated. Perhaps a bigger concern is the quality of the water that he IS getting - if he's licking the shower floor, there may be shampoo or shower cleaner residue that he is ingesting and you don't want kitty adding icky chemicals his system.

1) Get a water fountain. My cats seem to drink more when it is running as opposed to still water
2) Check bowl width. Some kitties are sensitive about their whiskers, and if the bowl is small and whiskers hit the sides, this can bother them
3) Check water temp & freshness. It may be too hot or cold for their liking
4) Give them ice cubes to lick. Some kitties enjoy this and it gives them a chance to get a little extra water
5) Serve wet food. Most moisture

Hope this helps you!

Panda answered on 7/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Harley

Is your bowl A small deep bowl?A lot of cats won't put their head where their whiskers can't fit.So my cat drinks out of a wide flatter bowl.It is less intimidating to him.

Harley answered on 1/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer