Kingsford

How can you tell if a cat has a fever?

Kingsford went to the vet two weeks ago to get fixed. He come home fine, although I did find out he's FeLV positive. He's really calmed down - enough to make me nervous. He cuddles with me now, and I wonder if he feels extra warm. I really can't tell...How would I be able to tell if he has a fever? If he's sick, I want to get him to the vet but if it's just the neutering that's slowing him down then I won't worry.

Asked by Kingsford on Apr 17th 2008 Tagged fever in Illness & Disease

Best Answer

you can take his temperature rectally with a thermometer. a normal cat temperature is about 101.0-102.0 but each kitty varies. If your cat's temperature is 103.5 or higher, it is definitely a fever.

answered on Apr 18th.

Answers

Tinker Bell 2003-2006

A rectnal therameter. Vets have them, and he could probably tell you where you could buy one.

Tinker Bell 2003-2006 answered on 4/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I've been told it takes a while for the anesthesia to leave the cat's system, but two weeks may be a little long. If he was on any pain meds, he could also be feeling the effects from that. Check his incision to make sure it's not red or looking swollen or leaking anything. A fever is a symptom and not a sickness. If he DOES have a fever, there's something else going on. Cats do have warm little bodies, especially when they cuddle, but if he seems lethargic and isn't eating then you need to go to the vet's.

Do some research on the Internet to find out what you can expect from a cat who is positive for FeLV. It will be good to know as he gets older.

Icon BB*Rainbow Bridge 12/26/2

I'm so sorry to hear he is FeLV positive. Neutering can definitely 'calm down' male cats - especially if he was a very active cat prior - being more subdued by itself isn't cause for alarm.
Is he lethargic? Does he play & is he interested in normal activities, or does he seem depressed?
Is he still eating, drinking, and using the litter box normally?
These changes could be signs of trouble, and calling your Vet to discuss the symptoms would be advisable, especially with a FeLV kitty.

Icon BB*Rainbow Bridge 12/26/2 answered on 4/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer