Colby

How can you stop or train a cat that is destructive to things in the home to not do it??

One of my two cats decided last night to bite one of the plastic vertical blinds several times and it now has little teeth holes in it. I'm thinking it is my male cat that did it. I am not sure why he is so destructive. He is also responsible for scratching up my carpet. I have tried many of the tips provided to me on here previously, but he unfortunately does this stuff when I am asleep and can't hear or see him. I do correct him when I actually hear or see him doing something destructive. I have also provided other toys, scratching post and scratching pad, etc., but nothing seems to work. Help!!! Any suggestions are appreciated!

Asked by Colby on Dec 7th 2009 Tagged destructivebehavior, scratching, training in Behavior & Training

Answers

First, you need to make sure you know which cat it is. Cats will react this way for a few reasons. One is boredom, actually. Do you give your cats lots of one to one playtime with you? Sometimes even a grooming session can relieve boredom. If he sees you playing with his toys, he'll become very interested in them. Try scratching at the post yourself and act like it's just the most fun you've ever had! He'll come over to see what's so interesting. He may not be able to differentiate between your carpet and his post, so try the corrugated boxes with catnip on them for him. Cats are very curious and will investigate just about anything, even if it's not theirs. My cats don't chew so I'm not really familiar with chew toys, but I did purchase a "Kong" ball that you can stuff with cat treats. Then they have to try to get them out of the ball. It's funny to watch and keeps them occupied for hours. Try this and see if it works.

Belle

My cat can get destructive too...mainly chewing on TV cords, which can be dangerous. What I've found works well is buying Bitter Apple Spray for cats...I spray it on my TV cords (and I don't let her get near the cords until I'm sure the spray is completely dry so she won't get electrocuted). That seems to work really well. I've also used it on this candle I have on my coffee table that Belle likes to chew when she passes by it. She has plenty of chew toys, of course, but sometimes she just can't resist the smell of the candle!

Belle answered on 12/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer