How can male cats be more friendly than female cats. i dont get it?

I dont get how male cats can be more friendly than female cats. I have two female cats and they are really friendly and loving and love to be petted and held. I dont get how their personalies are nasty. Will some please tell me?

Asked by Member 913591 on Jan 15th 2010 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Sussie Q (pronounced Suzzie Q)

Not being mean but some pets are more you know bi^^^y then others. I have had two females whom loved to cuddle and loved me and showed me daily with affection and love and even kisses. My boy was more bi***y then them even. Just depends on the person or pet. :) My girl we have now is like that and the boy is all love me hold me and pet me.

Sussie Q (pronounced Suzzie Q) answered on 1/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jingo

I think thats just a generalisation and not true when you look at individual cats who all have their own personalities. Neutered males can be very sweet too and personally I don't think there's that much difference in general between males and females personalities as long as they are fixed.

Jingo answered on 1/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gracie

I agree with the others. It's both the cats' personality, and also the home environment, which, I will note, have nothing to do with gender most of the time.

Now I will admit that my girly cat is more skittish about being held period, but she loves cuddles on her terms. I think boy cats are more rough and tumble, but that's not affection per se. It's just that they will try to engage people more to get that extra energy out. I suspect that some pet owners mistake that for extra friendliness. MOL

Around here the boy is the champion headbutter and belly rub aficionado, but the girl will usually do the theatrical flop ("here I am, worship me!") and let you pet her a lot longer, and never uses her claws unless she is being picked up off the floor and doesn't want to. MOL.

Gracie answered on 1/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

As the other have said, it's not the sex, it's the cat. My son claims male cats are more affectionate, but I have Delilah who LOVES to cuddle--but on her own terms. Izzie doesn't like to be held, picked up or kissed, just like a little 2 1/2 year old human boy, but he will lay on my lap all evening. There is no hard and fast rule about which sex is more affectionate it just depends on the cat...and how it's raised and taken care of.

Belle

The main difference I notice is that our male cat, Linus, will let you pet him anytime, anywhere...and our female cat, Belle, will only let you pet her and give her affection if SHE wants it, and sometimes she only likes to be pet on the head, etc.

But Belle is friendlier in other ways...like she'll answer the door, and hang around if we have company over, or cuddle on your lap. I think it really depends on the cat.

Belle answered on 1/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Umesaburo

There is "scientific" data (probably from the Unniversity of Pennsylvania, but I am too lazy to check it out) that says that neutered males are the most affectionate cats. I seem to remember that spayed females came next, then unfixed females, then unfixed males. But I remember my father talking about his first cat, who was black and named "Lucky--probably the most common name for black cats--was extremely affectionate and made biscuits on his chest all night long. Alas, "Lucky" escaped from the vet's office the moment he was taken there to be neutered. In Lucky's opinion, who knows, that might have made him "lucky." Anyway, although I am 100% for pets being desexed,I am also curious about the intricaties of breeding. I have a number of intact queens and one intact male. Some of the queens get hostile when in heat. The intact male is unusual in that he doesn't do the usual spraying thing--but produces big litters. Believe me, females can be affectionate,

Umesaburo answered on 1/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer