Garfield--D of D Jan 26 2010

How can I put more muscle weight on Garfield's hind 1/4s due to him loosing the wt. due to his diabetes He's 13yrs old

Asked by Garfield--D of D Jan 26 2010 on Apr 22nd 2009 in Diabetes

Answers

Because Garfield is diabetic, you really don't want to go the supplement route (adding powders/vitamins/etc.) to his diet as that could throw off his counts. As we all age, our animal friends included, we do lose muscle tone and "firmness". Sometimes we can't get that back. As long as Garfield is mantaining his health, he's active, loving and gets good reports from his vet, I think I'd just engage in some fun playtimes with him for exercise to keep his whole body (and his mind) active and functioning. Exercise is a wonderful way to maintain muscle health! When we have an animal with health issues such as diabetes, it's always a good idea to check with the vet before we make any changes in their lives and ask for their recommendations.

HENRY DIED 9-6-09

Hi! I'm so sorry yours is diabetic. Here is just an idea, I am sure you have seen it on t.v. but if you have a treadmill, put him in a harness and on the lowest level, see if he likes to walk slowly, this can really help his legs a lot and he won't risk having blood clots in his legs, hope this helps, I will pray for Garfield.

HENRY DIED 9-6-09 answered on 4/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer