Joel

How can I help my cat cope with the loss of her sister?

Recently, my youngest cat, Millie, had to be put down due to a blood clot blocking flow to the hind legs. I have two other cats (and one dog) that make up my animal family, but one cat—Joel—was particularly attached to Millie; they grew up together, went into heat for the first time together, would groom each other, cuddle with one another, play together.. and on and on. Now, Joel seems to be handling the grief well, but definitely exhibits signs of grieving, like being overly affectionate, talking more than usual, sleeping/lounging in unusually spots, and overeating. Our eldest cat, Sabby (also Joel’s mom), will play with Joel sometimes, but she doesn’t seem to be getting the interaction she needs from her feline family. How can I help her cope with the loss of her sister? When will it be right to get another kitten, if ever?

Asked by Joel on Apr 25th 2013 Tagged greiving, sisters, loss, death, coping in Behavior & Training

Answers

Animals grieve the loss of their human and animal members much as we do. As we all grieve in our own time, so do animals. If you are openly grieving for Millie, your animals are picking up on your stress and reacting to it. That's not to say you are wrong for grieving, but that it takes time for everyone to adjust to the loss of a family member, especially when the loss was unexpected. Only you will know when it's time to add to your family. It may take weeks or months, but you will know. When I lost Ernie, I always felt that he made the decision for me from up at the Rainbow Bridge and whispered into my next cat's ear--"there's your new person--go for it!". And please, may I respectfully suggest that your spay/neuter if you have not? Thank you! We send purrs to your fur family and you.