How can I go adopting a cat where I don't drive? I have tried but haven't had any luck

Asked by Member 424853 on Jul 14th 2010 in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

I'm not sure why you've been denied adoption, but if you can prove to the rescue/shelter that you have the ability to care for a cat, which includes taking them to the vet regularly and getting to the store to purchase food and accessories, I don't see why they wouldn't adopt to you. There are LOTS of people in big cities like New York who don't drive but have pets. They've developed ways of getting their animals to vets, etc. I've seen people on city buses with pet carriers going to vets, etc. If you have friends who drive, they may be able to bring you to a shelter to adopt a kitty, but be prepared for some tough questions on how you will care for the cat. There may even be follow up visits by the shelter/rescue to make sure you are caring properly for the cat. Don't be insulted because it's not about YOU, it's about the cat and its welfare. If a shelter isn't confident that their cat will get the best care possible, they will deny an adoption no matter what the reason. Good Luck!

I'm not sure where abouts you are, but if you are in CA I'd be happy to give you a cat. We have to reduce our cats to 3 so I'd be happy to give you one of the kittens, with full medical records, at no charge as long as you will take GREAT care of it. We have 2 of them to give away; they're only 10 months old and both fixed. You can email me at melodytu@earthlink.net