How can i get Stray cats to stop spraying/peeing on my deck and BBQ?

I have stray cats that keeps coming around and spraying/peeing on everything i own outside. i tried putting garlic around and they ate it. I tried putting out stinky soap for the smells to drive them away but it's not working. I just got a brand new BBQ and last night while it was cooling there was a cat on it. Also spraying on the BBQ cover. I'm sick of my new stuff getting pee on and ruined. Anyone have ideas? please

Asked by Member 1147666 on May 11th 2013 in Answers

Answers

Lacey

You might try spraying Feliway, a special pheromone spray, onto things you don't want the stray cats to spray on. Many cat owners have had success using Feliway to stop spraying and other cat behavior problems. The easiest thing to do though, is simply to keep your BBQ in a garage or a shed when you're not using it. Plain vinegar is one of the best substances for cleaning up cat urine and removing the smell.

Lacey answered on 5/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Iba

You can buy motion activated sprinklers. Position one in the right spot and when cats get anywhere near the motion detector, they will get wet. Also, if there is a TNR program in your area, you can call them and have them set up traps. They will catch the cats, neuter them, then return them to the area. With these strays neutered, they'll be much less inclined to spray.

Iba answered on 5/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree that keeping your grill inside the garage is a good idea, but if it's hot or built in, that's not possible. Consider purchasing the garden plant Coleus Canina, sometimes referred to as "Scaredy Cat" or "Scardy Plant." Cats will avoid this plant. It is an attractive plant with appealing foliage and blue spiky flowers, but it releases an odor that deters cats. Humans can only smell the plant when it is touched. The plant is an annual, so this may be a good solution for the warmer months.For the least expensive solution, try a few natural scent repellents. Cats do not like the smell of citrus, so orange, lemon or grapefruit peels scattered around your house may deter them. Coffee grounds, too, give off an odor cats find unpleasant. These can be sprinkled in areas where you don't want cats to go, such as gardens or flowerbeds. Lavender oil, citronella oil, and peppermint oil are also scents cats find disagreeable. Do not put birdfeeders out which attract birds and then cats.

You could try used coffee grounds in your garden but I agree with the TNR. Find a local group or city agency that can get them trapped and altered. Best for all involved. You will have dozens in no time...they will just keep multiplying. :(
You may even find a group that rescues and socializes ferals and gets them adopted!