Sally

How can I get my cat to stop scratching my furniture. Behavior Issues** part 2

How can I get my cat to stop scratching my furniture.

**She is now jumping on my tv stand and tv. It's a flat screen, she is a big cat, she can fall, the tv can fall, this is getting dangerous..!! She just did this, and she has dry food down at the moment. I went to the vet, she suggested switching to a more wet food diet to control her weight. This does not help the behavior issues. She refused to eat the wet food at 1am when she woke me up hungry.
I am soo fed up with this behavior!! I yell at her, she freaks out, then get soo upset with myself for doing soo.
I wonder if me being pregnant has anything to do with this negative behavior!

PLEASE HELP

Asked by Sally on Jul 14th 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Boy, there's a whole bunch of stuff going on here!! It sounds like Sally is 1) bored and 2) out of sorts because she knows "something" is about to change her life (new baby). Then, the kindly vet makes you change her diet and take away her favorite food! And, she's getting yelled at just for doing what comes naturally to a cat-climbing and jumping. Knocking the TV over is a real possibility, so have someone secure it to the wall. Go to Lowe's and ask for what you'd need. Then get Sally a BIG cat tree for her to climb on. Put it by the window so she can watch "cat tv". It will get her active and maybe get her to drop a few pounds and also get her away from the tv. Invest in a spray bottle and when she heads for her TV perch, say (don't shriek) "DOWN!" and spray the air near her. It won't take long for her to get the message. Ask the vet if she feels Sally is truly overweight or just a big cat. Izzie is 19 lbs. but that's normal weight for him. Try playing with Sally more.