Crazy Dixie

How big did everyone's runt kitties get?

I have asked similar questions in the past that my kitten won't grow. About a month ago, she was the size of an 8 week old kitten. She is the same size. The vet says she is healthy, but I wanted to know approximately how big she might get, if she grows any.

Asked by Crazy Dixie on Oct 4th 2009 Tagged kitten, growth, stunted, size, grown in Health & Safety

Answers

Jingo

I may have answered your previous question :-). Jingo was the runt of the litter of six but she grew to normal size and is now a chunky 12lb. She's quite muscular from all her playing but is also plump with a belly.

Is the mum cat still suckling Crazy? If so let her suckle as long as the mum cat will allow it as that will help her grow. Also feed her as much kitten food as she will eat as that has the most calories. Usually as long as the runt kitten has plenty to eat they will grow to their normal size.

Jingo started off about 2/3 the size of her sister but gradually caught up. Its good you are checking with the vet to monitor Crazy since she doesn't seem to be growing. I did see a very small cat at our vets who looked like a 3 month old kitten but was year old. But he had been very sick since he was a kitten and that had slowed down his growth. Since the vet says she's healthy thats a good sign and hopefully she'll start growing soon.

Jingo answered on 10/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

Good answer Jingo.
I tried to read your arrival story and such but you can't see any of the words on your page. You may want to change your background or your text to allow people to read your info.
Your pictures are adorable. Have a good one.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 10/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boris

She's only 3 months old. No need to panic yet if she's on the small size. How much did the vet say she weighed last time she went in? As long as she is gaining approximately 1/2 to 1 pound per month of weight, she is perfectly fine, just on the small size.

Many runts do eventually catch up. Boris was a runt that got really big (14 lbs.). At six months, he was still on the runty side. Gracie, our other kitty, was biggest kitty of a litter of 4, but she was very small and compact for a long time. She grew, but still was on the small side for about 3-4 months after she came to live with us. I remember my vet insisted she should be at about 6 lbs before they would spay her, and at nearly 6 months she barely weighed 5 1/2 lbs. She's 10 lbs now, but she totally does not look like it, btw.

I'm 2 for 2 on cats who don't really have growth spurts until they reach the 7-8 month mark, so my answer to you is: Crazy will probably take her sweet time to get as big as she wants to be.

Boris answered on 10/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oliver

If Crazy is healthy, she will grow. (It's impossible to predict when or how much.) Ollie was the runt of his litter. He was treated for worms at 4 months, then he started to gain a pound per month. He stopped growing around 11 months. Now he is a year old and weighs a solid 12 lbs.

Oliver answered on 10/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have the same problem. I have a 14 wk. old kitten that weights approx. 1/2 lb. He is a Maine Coon kitten that I bought from a breeder. He isn't gaining any weight and is too small for blood tests. My vet is concerned it could be a liver condition called portal shunt. Does anyone know anything about this or any other reasons a kitten would not grow?