hi,I have a question about cat treats.what to do if cats wont eat healthier treats but love the junky ones?

I am new to trying to get my cats and dogs to eat food that isn't horrible for them after doing some research on the ingredients in most commercial food.My gf started fostering animals once she got her own home.Currently she has two cat fosters that she is keeping permanently and is still fostering.we are no longer fostering dogs as we have four now.Both of the cats she got weight 20 lbs each(came that big and declawed indoor only cats).i have switched them to chicken soup for the cat lovers soul as it also seems to be a decent food at a moderate price by reviews I've read and ingredient list.So having attempted to better their food source somewhat i started looking at treats.I have bought them freeze dried beef liver and white fish and chicken jerky.they will not eat them.they will lick them and turn their heads.any idea on how to find healthier treats they will eat?

Asked by Member 1029679 on May 3rd 2011 Tagged healthytreats in Treats

Answers

I agree Chicken Soup for the Cat is good. I was feeding that and Natural Balance until my vet recommended a dental diet because Persians tend to have teeth issues. I look at cat treats the same way I look at human treats. When I want a cookie, I eat a cookie, not a carrot. As long as their main diet is a healthy choice, then I do not see the harm in cat treats being less healthy. Mine get Temptations. Some of the better food companies also make treats such as Blue Buffalo but my cats also do not like healthy treats. Just feed the treats in moderation since those kitties are pretty hefty. LOL

Good for you in choosing to feed your animals healthy foods! I feed Twinkle Evo Weight Management dry food. As for treats, she likes all of the Evo cat treats too. Here are the different ones: Wild Cravings Turkey & Chicken Formula Cat Treats, Wild Cravings Weight Management Cat Treats & Wild Cravings Herring & Salmon Formula
Cat Treats. Check out the ingredients here: www.evopet.com

You may want to google Natural or Organic cat food/treats to see what you find.

I've made home-made treats for my dogs and you can probably find recipies for cats as well. That way, you are exactly certain about what's gone in them. I have to think though, if you are rewarding your cat for good behaviors, a Temptations or Pounce now and then isn't going to mess up their good diets too badly. If they don't like the treats, being cats, they'll probably start figuring "Why behave?" 8-) I give Izzie "Greenies" and he likes those. So does my Diva, Delilah. And God bless you for being such proactive foster parents. It's wonderful to know that you both are "on-board" with the volunteering and fostering. I know from personal experience that all animal welfare organizations who use fosters can always use more. Purrs and headbonks and thanks from all of us here at "The Zoo"!