Tabbie

hi, I have a kitten I just rescued and I don't know what I'm dog im not sure if Im doing anything right

My siberian husky female had him in her mouth she was trying to eat him and I dont know if i'm feeding him right what should I do I cant keep him he needs a home hes probably about 3 weeks I guess Im not sure please help me someone I dont want him to die!!

Asked by Tabbie on May 4th 2010 in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

I would suggest taking the kitten to your veterinarian that you use for your dog. Tell them the truth - that you rescued this poor little kitten and maybe they can help you. Does your vet adopt animals out? Some do, but the kitten needs special care and attention since it is so young. Maybe they have another nursing momma kitty who would accept her. If not, ask your vet to recommend some rescue groups you could contact. They may be able to help you. Don't wait any longer. The kitten needs to be fed every two hours at this young age. Ask your vet to give you some kitten replacement formula if they don't keep the kitten.

A kitten that young needs to be bottle or dropper fed KMR (kitten milk replacer) every 2-3 hours. You can contact a local rescue or shelter RIGHT NOW to say you have an emergency and you need to know if they have a nursing female that you can put this baby on. Most shelter and rescues have a hotline and check it regularly so you should get an answer. If all else fails, take the baby to an emergency vet clinic. Keep it very warm--we used to put orphaned babies in our bras to keep them warm! Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Coralie Grace

a 3 week old kitten likely still needs to be bottle/syringe fed every 4 hours. Do NOT feed it more than that unless it is crying as over feeding causes severe diarrhea. If you can't commit to doing that please call around to vets in your area and perhaps one of their employees would like to undertake the challenge! At this age its basically a week of bottle/syringe feeding (and he may be able to lap milk from a saucer now) and then its on to weaning!

I volunteer for an organization in my town and I hand raise orphan infant kittens all the time. Right behind me on a heating pad is my newest baby that I just got today, 2-4 days old w/ his umbilical cord still attached!

Coralie Grace answered on 5/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer