Hi, I have a 6 month old cat and suddenly my son is scared of the cat (he has autism). I need to figure out what to do

Hi, I have a 6 month old cat and suddenly my son is scared of the cat (he has autism). I need to figure out what to do on the weekends when he is home. Is a crate or condo a good option?

Asked by Member 1131869 on Sep 21st 2012 Tagged crate, onlyonweekends in Cats & Kids

Answers

Unless the cat is having some kind of health or behavioral problem, I would take this up with your son's doctor. Sounds like he's developed some kind of negative association with your cat, like possibly she startled him or raced past him too quickly. This is a tricky situation - I wish you the best of luck. I've heard pets can be great companions for children with autism and I hope you can find a way to make this work for your son and your cat.

Leena

Kids come first, the cat needs to go. You must literally choose between putting your helpless kid in a potentially terrifying situation at home (where he absolutely needs to feel safe) messing with your cat's comfort. What happens if your cat takes a swipe at your kid or vice versa?
As you're aware, autism comes with very specialized needs and adaptations and you must give your kiddo a safe place. He may not have the skills to communicate why he's getting upset about the cat. There isn't a "talk therapy" that will likely get him around it. Adding medication to your kid's weekends so you can have your son AND your cat seems extreme to me.
Having flipped out person in the house can upset your cat. Cats read body language & when your son gets wound up, your cat may not be able to adapt. You tried, but a cat isn't right for your home. Let the kitty live in a home where it's always loving and comfortable.
I speak from personal experience. I'm autistic too.

Leena answered on 9/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer