Help...my almost 1 year Simeaselikes to eat plastic. What can I do? I'm worried that something bad can hap

What can I do about my Simease male cat who eats plastic? He weights a little over 20lbs & will be 1 year old on May 13, 2012. I'm constantly taking plastic out of his mouth & finding it in his poop. Is this something I should be worried about? Please help.

Asked by Member 1108471 on Apr 30th 2012 in Swallowing Foreign Objects

Answers

Wow! That's big for a Siamese! If you haven't yet taken your cat to a vet, it's time for him to go--now. Talk with the vet about his penchant for eating non-food items. It's possible he's hungry or even bored. He may need a little diet readjustment, but go on the advice of your vet. And keep an eye on the sorts of things that are at his level since he's a chewer/eater of foreign objects. If you see something on the floor, pick it up and throw it away before he gets it. It cost my daughter $2,000 to have a puzzel piece removed from her cat's stomach. It was either that or euthanasia.

Some cats have "pica" - the habit of eating non-food items. It's not well-understood why they do this; they just do. My Siamese occasionally eats wall insulation in the basement, but vomits it back up.

Your kitty HAS to lose weight. No cat should weigh 20 pounds and especially at such a young age. Obesity can cause diabetes, arthritis, heart condition, and urinary tract issues. Get your cat playing more and talk to the vet about putting him on a diet. go to catinfo.org