Help, with stray that wants to come in but doesn't.

Hi.
I've been feeding a stray tom now for about a year almost we have gone from running away at sight. To purring and hand nudging and feeding at back door.
He sits on my window sill at feeding time and I open my back door on my knees and head down as not to frighten him. When I feed him I give him two strokes and now he accepts this and is happy.
it's getting cold n wet. I dont have a garage or shred to let him sleep in so tonight I made a house outta cardboard box and some blankets. I really want to bring him inside. And it seems he wants to come inside but can't decide if he should.
It's now getting close to winter weather is getting worse.

Asked by Member 1195474 on Oct 21st 2013 Tagged stray, weather, outside, house, inside in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

If you really want a cat, then take him in, bring him to the vet, have him neutered and allow him to be an inside/outside cat. If you move, you MUST take this cat with you. Otherwise, stop feeding the cat and just make a covered space for him in your yard where he can sleep without getting snowed on, like a doghouse. Do NOT feed strays if you do not plan on taking them in as your own, because they become dependent on you for food and will lose their survival skills outdoors. ^_^

providing blankets and a cardboard box is not the best way to provide shelter for a stray or feral cat. Google for more info on making a proper shelter and the cat will do better. They are relatively easy and not expensive....it just takes a little time and creativity.