Monkey

Help: My kitten thinks the litter box is a play box!

The first two weeks, he played with his toys and only went to the litter to do his business. Now he thinks he litter is another toy. He goes in there and starts to dig in the litter an then kicks it out. I constantly have to clean that area because he's throwing out litter and then empties it way too quickly...so I have to spend money buying more litter for him. A few days ago he peed on the bed. How do I teach him the litter is for peeing and pooping, not a place to play and kick the litter out?

Asked by Monkey on Aug 14th 2011 in Methods of Training

Answers

First, make sure he's actually playing in it and not just taking a LONG time to cover his business. Delilah spends so long covering her "stuff" that I've already gone to check on her to make sure she was OK! If you've yelled at him while he was in the box for what you think is his "playing", then that's why he peed on the bed. He's associating his box with your displeasure. I would try a covered litter box. It may convince him that the box is not a toy and will keep him from kicking litter all over the place. When you clean the box, you can also try leaving a clum of urine or some feces in there to remind him what the box is for. And remember, he's only a baby and babies think everything is a toy!

Lilah Rosebud

My kitten does the same thing, and my vet told me it was partly due to her having worms. Now that she is de-wormed she still rolls around in it, but not as much.

I would recommend the Clevercat top entry litterbox. It is a litterbox about the size of a tupperware box, with a lid on it that has a hole. It is virtually impossible for Lilah to get litter outside the box, and as long as I keep it clean I could care less how much she rolls in it.

Maybe you should have him tested for worms just in case this is causing the behavior? In either case, check out the Clevercat (you can get it at most pet stores). It has worked wonders for us!

Lilah Rosebud answered on 2/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer