Help! My cat has marked an area in the corner if our lounge to poo in when she doesn't want to go outside....

We have trained our 16 week old kitten to poo outside. But when she can get access to our lounge (with a cream carpet) she always poos in the corner of the room.
It driving me mad!! I have 2 little babies so don't want the litter tray in the house as they are at the crawling stage.
I need her to only poo outside....
Help!

Asked by Member 1140866 on Nov 15th 2012 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

I understand your aversion to having a litter box in the house in combination with 2 crawling babies. But, if you don't find the pile in time, the results could also be bad. Unfortunately, unless your cat stands and meows by the door, it's difficult to have her do her business only when you can take her outside. I suppose it can be done, but...I have a grandson who crawls, picks thing up and puts everything in his mouth. I also have 3 cats and 2 litter boxes. I keep my boxes in a closet and have a baby gate across the door. I have cut the plastic mesh to a cat-sized hole. The cats can get in and use their boxes but my grandson and my dogs cannot. I keep the boxes scooped at least once a day. I dump the litter out once a week, scrub the boxes with disinfectant and replace the litter. Everyone seems happy with that arrangement and I have no piles on the floor. Make certain to clean the rug with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle. It has to be left on the spot for while to work.

Joey

You won't abide a litter box in your house because your children are crawling - but the kitten going outside and then bringing everything with it back into the house is okay? Parasites, worms, fleas/ticks, bacteria and fungus all over the carpet – that’s okay but not a litter pan. Your logic doesn't make any sense to me - and you are blaming the wrong party here - it's not your kitty's fault your plan isn't working. You brought this beautiful little creature into your home and family after your children were born and now you want to impose very strict bathroom restrictions - why did you adopt this animal? It is very possible to have crawling children and litter boxes in the same house and never the two shall meet. Do the right thing with this kitty and set up a proper litter pan for it to use.

Joey answered on 11/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer