Tabby

Hello Catsters, I was looking for a new apartment in CT and came across an apartment complex that enforces declawing.

I found it was a nice locality and then I saw the words (**inhumane) that totally put me off. Cats are allowed but they need to be declawed!. I was so furious when I saw this. Is this even legal? I was totally flabbergasted looking at such a condition. They why allow cats in the first place!! To torture them? I am sure being a big estate that the apartment leasing office would have done its homework on the legal aspects and implications of such a condition. But do you think this is something that I can raise as a concern thru the shelter( non-profit, no kill shelter) I volunteer at?

Asked by Tabby on Sep 3rd 2008 Tagged declawing in Animal Welfare

Answers

Atrus

From my own apartment hunting, I would say more than half of the apartments in our area that allow cats also require the cats to be declawed. It is not uncommon and it is certainly legal. There is nothing you can do to change it, just like you cannot force an apartment complex to allow you to have a pit bull (even if it is a total sweetheart) if they have breed restrictions. If you do not want restrictions placed on you about how to live in housing that you don't own, don't rent.

Atrus answered on 9/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes, as the previous poster said this is not unheard of... and I'm sure it is legal - the owners of the apartments and rental properties have the right to make restrictions. You can talk to the shelter you volunteer at, but I really don't think there's anything they can do. You could also call the landlord or property manager to see if they would be open to considering alternatives, such as Soft Paws or offering to pay a higher pet deposit (that would be returned if no damage)... but depending on the person's mindset, you may not get anywhere. Good Luck!

Sent you some links, that I saw in an article of the September
2008 issue of Cat Fancy, about pet friendly apts. The links don't come out on here, so sent it to you in a paw mail. :-)

Bella (In Loving Memory)

I think that the horror about declawing is a regional thing. When I lived in CA it was shameful, here in OK I see more declawed kitties than not and I haven't seen an apartment complex here that allows cats WITH claws.

I had Bella declawed about two years ago and the apartment I lived in was only part of it (they required it, I lied about it...they were her paws not theirs!) and it was the best decision for both of us.

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 9/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Munchkin

I would say a humane society. Call them, and tell them what is going on. I live in California, and out here it is against the law to declaw a cat. They simply will not do it anymore. Which I think is a good thing, considering how its done. Anyways, I really dont think they can legally enforce that, and going through the shelter you volunteer at may be a good start. I wouldnt move in there either if they forced that. I dont blame you. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Angie

Munchkin answered on 11/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer