Heeelp.. my deaf cat starts crying in the middle of the night ?

My white cat Moby has been deaf since I adopted him when he was just 8 weeks old, he is now 3 and a half years. He has lived with my dad for the last 9 months, as my circumstances changed. He has recently started meowing around 3 am outside my dads bedroom window, due to being deaf his cry is a lot louder than the average cat. I stay with my dad 2 nights a week and he only meows for attention but never at 3am . Is there anyway I can stop him doing it, my dad is getting pretty annoyed at his wake up calls.Also both Moby and the other cat smudge are not aloud inside the house at night or when no body is home, they live in the garage but easily access outside through the window. What can I do.. please help.

Asked by Member 1155798 on Feb 18th 2013 Tagged crying, loud, deaf, white in Behavior & Training

Answers

Any time there is a sudden change in behavior, Catsters always recommend a trip or at least a call to the vet. Even though Moby is deaf, it's quite possible that he can still feel vibrations that might be upsetting him. A neighbor of ours takes her dog out at 7AM and the dog barks almost continuously. Another has a large diesel truck that he lets "warm up" in the AM and it's also very noisy. Also at 3AM, it's the darkest and coldest part of the night. He could be scared, lonely or cold if he has no retreat like a carrier with blankets and the garage isn't heated. Since it's annoying your dad, ask him to help figure out a solution. It would benefit him to build a retreat for the cats in the garage. A simple box would do. There are some excellent suggestions and instructions for building these retreats to keep outside cats warm on the 'Net. He could also invest in a small heater.I don't think Moby wants "out", I think he might want "in". He's probably become attached to your dad...

Buddha

The only thing I can add here is that a deaf cat should NEVER be allowed outdoors! The outdoors is dangerous even for a cat without any handicaps. It's even more treacherous for a deaf or otherwise disabled cat!

Maybe something is scaring your deaf cat and he's meowing for help.

Please keep your deaf kitty inside. There's no good reason at all to make a cat stay out of the house at night or when nobody's home. The only really SAFE place for a cat is inside the house.

Buddha answered on 2/19/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer