DUSTI

he needs to be shaved down, when he gets home, the other cats HISS at him and he hides, how can I avoid this?

when we bring him home, the other cats hiss at him and he runs and hides and sometimes this goes on for 2 or MONTHS!
He does come out to eat and use the litter box,
but then hides again.
One or two of our other 4 cats HISS and HISS at him and he runs scared. And he is the BIGGEST of all of our 5 cats!
PLEASE, if anyone can tell us if there is a "grooming tool" that we can get to use on him.
Mainly, he has Matts on his rear end that we are concerned about. I hope someone can help us, Thanks in ADVANCE from my husband and myself and MAINLY FROM "DUSTI"! :O)
oh, and by the way, he will NOT let us brush him, I DO "TRY", but then he wants to bite me!

Asked by DUSTI on May 2nd 2010 in Products & Tools

Answers

Before he goes to the groomer, leave a towel or blanket out for all of them to lie on and put their scent on for a few days. Then when he comes hom, rub it on him and then on each of the others to mix up the scents. Cats are very scent oriented and when he comes home they think he's a stranger because he has lost that familiar smell. My little Lucy just got shaved last week and when she came back in from the groomer's mobile spa van the others all looked at her like "what the heck happened to you?" and sniffed her looking very concerned. But mine have all experienced new kitties joining the family so they got over it quickly. You might also try wearing gloves to groom Dusti. Allie is a biter too and after a recent trip to the urgent care for antibiotics and a tetanus shot, I remembered to pull out my gloves for the next brushing.

First, why does your cat need to be shaved down? The other cats maybe don't recognize him at first, but they should once they smell him. My concern is why are you having this cat shaved down? Do you mean just in the hind quarters?

Harvey

There are bites and there are bites. I was recently bitten by three cats I was putting in a cat show. I had two IVs and a weeklong dose of antibiotics. I have artificial hips, and I was warned by my orthopedist that the bacteria could go to my hips. I still have muscle aches that are probably caused by an infection. If you are bitten, please go to a hospital.

Harvey answered on 5/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer