Has anyone had their cat's canine teeth filed down?

I took my 6 month old cat to be neutered & was told that my cat's lower canines were too long and were digging into his upper gums. I took a look and indeed his teeth have made two puncture wounds in his gums.

I took him to the vet and she said that he needed his teeth filed a bit. Has anyone had this done to their cat? I've never heard of this and was wondering if anyone else has had it done to their pet?

The procedure is a bit expensive, but I don't want my cat to get an infection by having (what looks like) an open wound in his gums.

Asked by Member 976950 on Mar 24th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I have never heard of filing down any animal's teeth, including humans. Your cat is still a kitten and still growing. When his head and jaws reach their full growth, the canine teeth may not be such a problem. It seems to me that this would weaken the enamel and cause the cat nerve pain--making the nerve that much closer to the top of the tooth. If there is a speciality clinic in your area, or a cat's only veterinary clinic, I might be tempted, before spending the money on this expensive procedure, to ask for a second opinion. Your vet should know of the location of clinics like this and not mind if you ask for a second opinion from a different doctor.

Freckles (1993-2011)

Ask for a referral so you can consult with a veterinary dentist. I did this for Freckles to get advice if multiple roots (no teeth) discovered during a dental xray needed to be removed. My regular vet was recommending a second surgery to remove them but I wasn't sure it was the right thing to do. The consult with the specialist only cost $65 and confirmed that she didn't need any further surgery and the roots would just get absorbed into her jaw bone over time. It saved me a lot of money and Freckles avoided an unecessary surgery.

Veterinary dentists know everything about teeth and gums and will have seen similar issues before. They'll be able to provide advice and if they do recommend the tooth filing you'll at least have the reassurance that it's the right thing to do from an expert.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 3/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Harvey

Harvey had one tooth that was digging into his gum. The cat dentist did indeed file it down a bit, so yes, this is a procedure that is done, but I do recommend that you see a cat dentist if possible. By the way, Harvey was about the same age as your cat when he had this procedure.

Harvey answered on 3/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer